2021 UMSHoF CELEBRITY FISHING TOURNAMENT OFFICIAL RULES
- DATE/TIME OF TOURNAMENT: Final tournament registration and our Kick-Off Party will be held Thursday, June 3, 2021 from 5:30 pm – 8:30 pm at Sandbar Sports Grill, located at 3064 Grand Avenue, Coconut Grove, FL 33133. Fishing day is Saturday, June 5, 2021. Fishing will begin with lines in the water at 8:00am. All boats/teams may leave from any marina and do NOT have to check in anywhere prior to start time. The weigh stations open at 2:30pm and close at 5:00pm on Saturday, June 5th at all four participating marinas: Black Point Marina, Matheson Hammock Marina, Miami Beach Marina or Bahia Mar Marina. Fish can be brought to the weigh-in by boat or car. No fish will be accepted after 5:00 pm Saturday (see Rule #9).
- TYPE OF TOURNAMENT:This is a boat/team tournament. No changes are permitted to registered anglers after the conclusion of the Captain’s Meeting on Thursday, June 3, 2021. All eligible species of fish (Dolphin, Blackfin / Yellowfin Tuna (no bonito), Kingfish and Wahoo) must be entered for official weigh-‐in in the presence of a registered boat/team representative. Fishing equipment cannot consist of nets or spears. All other legal equipment for taking salt-water fish is allowed.
- RULES:Unless otherwise stated in these rules, IGFA rules apply throughout the tournament, so spearing of fish and treble hooks are NOT allowed. Rules of the road are to be followed at all times and are the boat captain’s responsibility. All boats, anglers, crews and guests will fish at their own risk.
- FISHING LICENSE: All participating anglers must possess a Florida Saltwater Fishing License valid on the day of fishing. The only exception to this rule is for those anglers fishing on a charter boat where the charter boat’s license covers its paying anglers. Proper state registration of the boat is the responsibility of the boat captain. All boats are required to have a current Federal Tuna Permit, or the Highly Migratory Species Permit (HMSP) in the event you weigh Tuna. Permits can be obtained through the NMFS at 888-872-8862 or www.nmfspermits.com.
- CAPTAIN/ANGLER MEETING: Final registration and the tournament’s Kick-off Party will be held on Thursday, June 3, 2021 at Sandbar Sports Grill from 5:30 pm – 8:30 pm, with the Captain’s meeting at approximately 7:30 pm. At least one representative from each team must be present. The tournament committee reserves the right to make changes to the rules and/or the terms and conditions of this tournament verbally or in writing at the time of the Captain’s Meeting. Anglers are responsible for being properly informed of all rules of the tournament.
- BOUNDARIES: All fishing must be done in US waters only; TEAMS MAY NOT ENTER BAHAMIAN WATERS.
- ELIGIBLE FISH: Dolphin, Tuna, Kingfish and Wahoo are the only species of fish eligible for prizes. All eligible fish must be presented for weigh-in at the certified scales at the official weigh-in locations in the presence of the fishing team entering them. All fish must be in fresh, edible condition and caught that tournament day. Minimum acceptable fish weight of 10 pounds is required for weigh-in entry in the tournament. Any fish may be examined by any means necessary. Fish may be delivered to the weigh station by boat or car. All tournament winners may be subject to a polygraph test. No mutilated fish (based on the tournament committee’s opinion) will be accepted. The tournament committee and its director urge all participating anglers to release those fish not to be entered into the tournament. The release of fish should be in keeping with the best conservation methods to ensure continued life.
- BILLFISH: Only Swordfish are eligible for entry into the Tournament through the Swordfish Swagger Optional Added Value Category (see #15 below). Any other Billfish are not eligible for entry into the tournament and should be released unharmed. Any angler bringing a billfish, that is not a swordfish, to the weigh station shall forfeit any claim he/she may have to tournament prizes.
- WEIGH IN: The weigh stations open at 2:30pm and close at 5:00pm Saturday, June 5th at one of four participating marinas: Black Point Marina, Matheson Hammock Marina, Miami Beach Marina or Bahia Mar Marina. No fish will be accepted after 5:00pm Saturday. If due to time constraints the weigh-‐in is not completed by 5:00pm, an angler must be standing in line and acknowledged by either the weigh master or a judge prior to 5:00pm in order to have a fish weighed. Any fish brought to the scale after the close of the weigh-‐in will not be eligible for a prize.
- JUNIOR DIVISION: Any angler 16 years of age and under may fish in the Junior Division. Junior anglers will still be eligible for all other awards. Entry in the Junior Division is voluntary and must be declared on the entry form to entitle the angler to win Junior Division awards. An adult registered angler must accompany junior anglers.
- AWARDS: Prizes will be awarded for 1st Place Aggregate Weight of 3 Dolphin, 2nd Place Aggregate Weight of 3 Dolphin, 3rd Place Aggregate Weight of 3 Dolphin, 4th Place Aggregate Weight of 3 Dolphin, and 5th Place Aggregate Weight of 3 Dolphin, Heaviest Single Dolphin-Fishing Team, Heaviest Single Dolphin-Junior Angler and Heaviest Single Dolphin-Female Angler. The “King of Fish” prize will be awarded for the heaviest single fish overall of the other eligible species (Tuna, Kingfish and Wahoo). The judges have full discretion to disqualify any fish believed not to meet the rules of this tournament. All decisions made by the judges as to eligibility of a fish for weigh-‐in is final. The judge has the right to inspect and mark all fish presented for weigh-‐in and inspection may be done by any means necessary. Any protest concerning conduct or rules violation must be filed in writing with the tournament judges prior to the close of weigh-‐in. All decisions of the judges on rules questions are final. In the event of a tie in weight, the winner will be determined by the earliest weigh-‐in time.
- OPTIONAL ADDED VALUE CATEGORIES: The tournament will offer three additional “optional added value” categories for registered boats. All tournament rules apply. Fees to enter these optional categories are on a per-boat/team basis and are in addition to the tournament boat entry fees. Participating boats must register for the optional added value categories of their choice at or before tournament registration. Fifteen percent (15%) of the gross entry fee in each category will be donated to the University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame. The remaining eighty-five percent (85%) will be awarded and divided in each category as described in Rules #13, 14 and 15 below. Actual cash prize amounts of each category are dependent on the number of boats entering that category. All prizes will be paid by check at the awards presentation.
- BUCKET OF BUCKS: “Bucket of Bucks” optional added value category entry fee is $150 per boat. Awards for the “Bucket of Bucks” will be distributed for first, second and third places on a fifty percent (50%), thirty percent (30%) and twenty percent (20%) basis respectively. The heaviest single Dolphin caught during the fishing day will determine the winners. No other species will be eligible. A ten-pound minimum weight will be in effect. The judges have the same discretion to disqualify any Dolphin that falls outside of the rules listed above. This competition is completely voluntary and only those boats that have paid the $150.00 by 7:30pm on Thursday, June 3rd, are eligible to win the prize.
- MASTER OF THE OCEAN: The “Master of the Ocean” optional added value category entry fee is $300 per boat. The award for the “Master of the Ocean” will be distributed on a Winner-Take-All basis. The winner will be determined by the heaviest combination of eligible fish weighed (Dolphin, Tuna, Kingfish and Wahoo). A ten-pound minimum weight will be in effect for all eligible species. No more than three (3) of each eligible fish species per boat (a maximum of 12 fish) will count toward the total weight. This competition is completely voluntary and only those boats that have paid the $300.00 by 7:30pm on Thursday, June 3rd, are eligible to win the prize.
- SWORDFISH SWAGGER: The “Swordfish Swagger” optional added value category entry fee is $300 per boat. The award for the “Swordfish Swagger” will be distributed on a Winner-Take-All basis. The heaviest single Swordfish weighed determine the winner. Swordfish must meet the State of Florida’s minimum size limit of 47” lower jaw fork length. This competition is completely voluntary and only those boats that have paid the $300.00 by 7:30pm on Thursday, June 3rd, are eligible to win the prize.
- WEATHER CONDITIONS: In the event of unsafe weather conditions, the tournament committee may choose to postpone the tournament or cancel the tournament; however, there will be no refunds of entry fees. Any portion of the day’s fishing will constitute the tournament. Captains are ultimately responsible for their crew, anglers and guests and should make the decision as to safe sea conditions for their team.
- RELEASE OF LIABILITY: Hold Harmless: All registered anglers, celebrities and non-registered occupants of their boats enter and participate in this University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame Celebrity Fishing Tournament voluntarily and at their own risk. In consideration for the University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame’s acceptance of his or her entry, each registered angler, celebrity and participant for his or her heirs, executors, and administrators, agrees to release, hold harmless and indemnify the University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame, its officers, managers, directors, agents, polygraph examiners, sponsors, donors, the city and county where the event is held, and all other persons connected directly or indirectly with the operation of the tournament, from and against any and all liabilities, claims, actions, damages, costs, fees or expenses which he or she may have against any above-described party, or which his or her captains, crew members, celebrities, family members, companions or non-registered occupants of their boat may have, arising out of or in any way connected with his or her participation in this Tournament, including any injury or death suffered by any registered angler, boat captains, crew members, family members, celebrities, companions or other occupants of any boat, and including any damage to vessels and equipment, which occurs during or in conjunction with the event. Each registered angler understands and agrees that this release specifically includes and waives any claims based on libel, slander, negligence, action or inaction of any above-named party. Each registered angler further understands and agrees that this release specifically includes and waives any claims arising from the University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame’s use of any photographs and from the University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame’s administration of or interpretation of any polygraph. By entering the Tournament and being a registered angler, mate, captain, celebrity or volunteer participant you agree to follow the Tournament Rules and that the University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame and/or its sponsors may use, without payment or restriction, any photographs, including video, in which he or she appears for any purpose whatsoever, including but not limited to resale, advertising, commercial or promotional material. All anglers, celebrities, captains and crew will be required to sign a “RELEASE FORM” prior to participation.
2021 Prize Structure
1st Place Aggregate Weight of 3 Dolphin
2nd Place Aggregate Weight of 3 Dolphin
3rd Place Aggregate Weight of 3 Dolphin
4th Place Aggregate Weight of 3 Dolphin
5th Place Aggregate Weight of 3 Dolphin
Heaviest Single Dolphin Fishing Team
Heaviest Single Dolphin Junior Angler
Heaviest Single Dolphin Female Angler
“King of Fish” (included in your tournament entry fee) – Prize to the angler with the heaviest single fish of the other eligible species: Tuna, Wahoo, and Kingfish
Optional Added Value Categories
“Bucket of Bucks” ($150 Entry Fee) – Optional Added Value category for the heaviest single dolphin. Payment for the “Bucket of Bucks” will be distributed for first, second and third places on a fifty percent (50%), thirty percent (30%) and twenty percent (20%) basis, respectively
“Master of the Ocean” ($300 Entry Fee) – Optional Added Value category for the heaviest combination of eligible fish weighed (Dolphin, Tuna, Kingfish and Wahoo), no more than 3 of each eligible species per boat, max 12 fish and paid on a “Winner Takes All” basis
“Swordfish Swagger” ($300 Entry Fee) – Optional Added Value category for the heaviest single swordfish weighed and paid on a “Winner Takes All” basis.